the mending pile
I made this dress and pattern for a friend's baby, at the last minute, a few hours before we were supposed to go over for brunch. Clearly, it didn't get finished. Somehow, I lost part of my mind and stitched it all together, thinking that I could just turn it inside out and ta da! Nope.
+ Finish serged ends.
+ Make bias tape for neck and armholes.
+ Bind neck and armholes.
+ Hope that the receipent hasn't grown too much in the last 2 months.
This is a Marc Jacobs shirt that my friend LW thrifted and passed on to me.
+ Shorten hem.
+ Remove pocket.
+ Put darts in back.
+ Alter sleeves?
This dress looks hideous but trust me, it's pretty cute. It's from a commercial reprint of a 60s pattern. The fit is a little strange and see through.
+ Let out CB seam a little.
+ Finish seams.
+ Insert neck and armhole facing.
+ Insert zipper.
+ Find cotton slip so I can actually wear it without showing the world my bits.
I found this Pink Tartan shirt at the Sally Ann for like $5. It's a too big and the styling is a little 'mature' but it's so beautifully constructed I had to buy it.
+ Wash in warm water and dry in the dryer and hope it shrinks.
+ Adjust back darts.
+ Put in front darts.
Atrocious, black 'office' pants. For temping and event (where I am working them not attending) use only.
This another thrifted item. It's Escada and made in West Germany. I love the strange, 80s, slightly spacey, utilitarian vibe. The wool is really beautiful and the construction is impecable.
+ Hem so I don't look so matornly.
I got these jeans at Zara during one their end of season madness sales. A bit weird but only $15.
+ Taper legs (Not what you expected, probably. They fit me perfectly through the waist, hips and thighs but then super wide through the rest of the leg. I love a wide leg but sadly, am very short so it's hard to pull it off).
+ Hem (like 6" off).
This is Aren's shirt that he spilled coffee down the front. Everything else about the shirt is great so I proposed to create some sort of decorative element to cover up the stains.
+ Create some sort of decorative element to cover up the stains.
Beautiful cashmere cardigan that developed holes at the elbows.
+ Hand stitch elbow patches on.
I love the print and the hand of the fabric of this shirt so much that even though it doesn't fit that well anymore, I can't give it up. So I'm going to hack it up in an effort to make it wearable.
+ Remove sleeves.
+ Put in darts/increase darts.
This is one of Aren's favorite sweaters. It's Norwegian and so warm.
+ Create elbow patch.
+ Hand stitch patch on.
I thrifted this dress at the end of last summer. Aren thought I was nuts for buying something that I could only wear a year later. There is a bit of grandma going on in the dress but I think it can be restyled so it's cuter.
+ Put in front and back darts.
+ Replace buttons.
I got this dress at a costume store sale. Again, the print and the quality of fabric got me. The fit leaves a little to be desired. Also, the upper back is a little stained.
+ Either make the dress sleeveless or transform it into a halter neck dress.
+ Take in at waist.
One of my favorite summer dresses. The zipper broke when I was working an event, just before the doors opened. Some last minute wizardry made it wearable for that night but that was it.
+ Replace zipper.
+ Restitch bodice lining.
Strangely, this print is the same as the baby dress, just in another colourway. I made this ages ago but never put the zipper in. I'm not sure if I like it anymore but I should probably try wearing before I make up my mind.
+ Insert zipper.
Another item that LW passed on. I love the fabric, so summery. The fit isn't quite there, check out that neckline. Whoah.
+ Remove sleeves.
+ Use sleeve fabric to create modesty panel to handle that neckline.
+ Take in side seams to tame the A line shape.
+ Remove pom-pom fringe.
Phew. That was a long one. Hopefully I will have something to report soon.