Thursday, May 08, 2008

the garden report

We are very excited about our container garden. We have planted herbs (cilantro, thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley, oregano and chives), greens (spinach, argula, swiss chard, romaine and red lettuces), vegetables (brocoli and tomatoes), flowers (snapdragons, violas, lavender and some unidentified purple flower) and one strawberry plant. We still want to plant another variety of tomatoes, mint, sugar peas, nastriums, radishes and hot peppers. There is something very satisfying about growing your own food.

We have been watering the plants with gray water from the shower. It's so easy; just put a bucket in the shower and presto! water for the garden not the drain.













3 Comments:

Blogger DarkEbony said...

That's cool! I'm working on my own pot garden as well. (Well not POT pot, but, you know... :)
I wanted to ask: Do you use pesticides? Or do you have some other way of keeping the bugs awy? I'm having a little pest problem, but I don't want to comprimise with poisons!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are going to have a beautiful garden as the weeks go on, a feast for the eyes and palate! I'm happy to see your photos and to know you are enjoying it so much. sp

3:23 AM  
Blogger skona said...

darkebony: So far, so good in terms of bugs. The garden in on a 3rd floor deck so I think that helps i terms of bug control. On the flip side, we have raccoons and a million squirrels who like to dig up everything.

sp: I must say, I feel very satisfied every morning when I go out to water the plants. How is your garden coming?

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home