Monday, April 20, 2009

slm - garbage/recycling-in-one-basket




Wanting to recycle with ease but having enough space to have 2 bins under my desk, I came up this 2-in-1 jobie. I put recycling in the fabric bag and garbage in the space left in the bin. This works really well as I often have many small bits of paper and having them in the bag makes it so easy to transfer to our main recycling bin.

To make the bag, I measured the diameter and height of the bin. I cut out a piece of thick cotton twill as wide as the diameter plus seam allowance (I pretty much always use 1/2") and double the height of bin plus seam allowance so I would only have two seams to sew (lazy me). I folded the fabric in half widthwise, stitched up the side seams and boxed the corners (here's a tutorial). Done!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a unique approach and solution to an everyday problem.
Very clean and efficient.
beejay

2:37 PM  
Blogger brooklyn_codger said...

Will make the angst I feel throwing scraps of paper into the trash can (because the recycling bin is all the way in the kitchen!!) a thing of the past.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home