Tuesday, March 03, 2009



I think I have found all the right elements to make my ideal version of lemon poppyseed cake/loaf/muffin. My requirements were: strong lemon flavour, moist crumb, lots of poppyseeds and vegan.

I based the it on my trusty muffin recipe with some additions. I think the key is lemon oil. I finally found some that didn't contain propylene glycol and alcohol. I also added grated zest and juice of one lemon to maximise the lemon. At the last minute I decided to add glaze. I just winged it; icing sugar with the smallest amount of lemon juice to make a paste and mix mix mix until smooth, a la yarnstorm. Let me know if you try it.

Lemon Lemon Poppyseed Cake/Loaf/Muffins

1 1/2 c spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 c organic raw sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c poppyseeds (more or less to your liking)
1/3 c grapeseed oil
1/4 c extra firm silken tofu
1/3 c soymilk
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp lemon oil
juice and zest of one lemon

+ Preheat oven to 400F. Grease pan.
+ Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and poppyseeds with a whisk in a medium bowl.
+ Place oil, tofu, soymilk, vanilla, lemon oil, lemon juice and zest in blender. Blend until smooth and the consistency of honey. Depending on the soymilk and tofu, it might be thicker. Add a little more soymilk and oil to thin.
+ Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Place batter in pan.
+ Bake* until tester comes out clean. Cool completely before taking out of pan and icing if desired.

*Baking times will vary depdending on the type, material and size of pan you are using. I used a round 2.3L corningware pan and baked the cake for 45 minutes. When I have used a metal muffin pan, 25 minutes was usually good.

4 Comments:

Blogger elisabetha said...

this looks delicious. did you manage to find any of that lemon oil in Toronto?

8:50 PM  
Blogger skona said...

elisabetha: yup, at whole foods.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks and sounds great. i'm gonna try it soon.i'm looking for great spelt recipes these days. thanks and love to you, ahbs

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Made this last night, Reva. Mmmmm! Thanks for this. -alicia

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home