Tuesday, January 27, 2009

slm - winter biking*

My dream bike, the Velobris Victoria Classic

Over the last 3 years that we have lived in Toronto, I have become more and more of a biker. I biked a little in Vancouver; the rain and the hills slowed me down. Then Aren and I made a docudrama about bike theft and I started to get more passionate about biking.

This year I have biking alot, including this winter. It's really not so bad once you get started. I find it's not so much about the temperature because once you get going, your body heats up. It's the wind. A layer that stops the icy fingers of windchill is key.

My main problem this year has been my face. It's the only part that exposed and it gets so cold. I have experimented with a face covering made from the neck of a turtleneck sweater and it's pretty good. It's cozy and warm but most of the time, too warm. I am going to look into readymade ones that are thin and wind resistant.

I also got Tretorn Skerry boots this year and it has made a work of difference. Warm and dry feet, hurray!

The other thing that makes winter biking fun for me is going slow. I make sure I have alot of time to get where I am going and then I don't have to stress about being late when I need to ride slow for a 1km because there's ice everywhere.

I think the best thing about winter biking is that it helps combat the winter blahs by being outside in the fresh air and sunshine as well as getting your blood moving.

Here are some useful winter biking links I found:

+ Commuting tips
+ City of Torontowinter bike tips as well as a calendar of winter biking events.
+ User generated tips from Biking Toronto
+ An article from the Montreal Gazette about winter biking.

Let me know if you have any resources or tips.

*I know this feature is supposed to be on Mondays but this week is topsy-turvy so here it is on a Wednesday. Better late than never, I suppose.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man . . . what a beautiful bicycle!!! Now I want one too!

3:19 PM  
Blogger elisabetha said...

just discovered your delightful blog. that bicycle is a beauty indeed! thanks for the link!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Toujours Dimanche said...

This is an amazing bike here... Also my dream city bike.

I used to bike a lot, during all year, even in winter, like you. But, unfortunately, one winter, I fell. A very bad fell. Two bones of my right leg broke, in spiral. A very bad fracture. Since then, I quite afraid to bike, and it makes me sad...

Enjoy your bike!

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice is not the only treacherous thing you have to contend with...unfortunately you have car drivers intent on getting somewhere--
QUICKLY...
love the bike...the basket is a problem if you hit obstacles...things can bounce out...call me experienced.
beejay

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photo - isn't that Strathcona, in Vancouver? I think that's two blocks from me... and my bike was just stolen too. But it was a heck of lot crappier than that bike.... is your film rentable/purchasable?

7:43 PM  
Blogger skona said...

Marco Crupi: Thanks!
Debbie: I know, it's so dreamy.
elisabetha: welcome and thanks!
Marie-Eve: Whoah, that's not fun. Sorry to hear about that.
Lindsay: I don't actually know exactly where it was taken. We hired a photographer and she went out found a few locations. Sorry to hear about your bike! That's the worst.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home