Monday, December 08, 2008

slm - products i'm into right now

(what I wore to the trunk show. Made by me from an altered vintage pattern and delicious Nani Iro double gauze)

Phew, what a week! I wanted to post again last week but after announcing the arrival of mr. sköna, I realized that I was not quite prepared for the workroom's trunk show. So I worked like crazy all week, sewing, sewing, sewing. The trunk went really well and I met lots of nice people. It was sunny most of the day and it made the lovely workroom even more lovely.

So, a new week, a new slm post. I have collected a few links of great sustainable produts and I wanted to share them with you. Most of these I haven't tested out in real life but would like to. If you have first hand experience with any of these items, let me know.

Here we go:

+ Soap nuts. Am I the only one who didn't know about these? I love everything about them: the ancientness, the fact they are not actually nuts (I'm allergic), their simplicity and gentleness (Aren has sensitive skin).
+ Bulk bags. I have been thinking about this for yonks. I buy a lot of items in bulk and dread bringing home the useless plastic bags. I think using silk and nylon is genius. It be even better if the fabric was upcycled.
+ MEC Natural Bike Lube. So nice not to have use a petrochemical to keep my bike in good shape. Speaking of bikes...
+Velorbis. Le sigh. I feel the Dannebrog might be the perfect bike. The red! But the Victoria Classic is pretty amazing as well. Ah, the Danish.
+ Paraben free deodarant . Sustainable? Well, in the sense that it keeps you healthy by not being loaded with parabens. I have considered making my deodorant as I make many of the things that we use/consume on a daily basis but for me, this where I draw the line. I am happy to support a small business and not have investment is special pots and supplies.
+ Homemade spelt crackers. I am really excited to try this this recipe. Most cracker recipes I have come across are loaded with oil not unlike most premade crackers. Now I am not anti-fat (in fact I fully embrace most vegetable fats, olive oil, mmmm) but I like the idea that they are lower in calories so you can load up on delicious toppings.

Anyone seen anything else good lately?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A low cost, green eco friendly, healthy natural way to clean. Use the berries in the wash or make a homemade liquid from soapberry which grows on the Chinaberry tree and has been used for thousands of years. It works very effectively.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reva , what fantastic leads on products....thanks!!check out these recipes at huffingtonpost.com: 6 Amazing Vegan Holiday Baking Projects, love you and talk to you soon, ahbs

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's hoping skona life will produce reusable upcycled bulk bags in attractive prints and colors.

Can hardly wait to try the spelt crackers.

beejay

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there. I LOVE that dress! The colours are amazing:)
hmm.. products I like- still excited by the method cleaning line, it's all so yummy smelling.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! i just found your blog through your etsy shop. really amazing stuff... i love the scandinavian touch :)

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home