Monday, November 24, 2008

slm- stuffing


No, not that kind of stuffing though it would be seasonally appropriate since Amercian Thanksgiving is coming up. I'm talking about the kind of stuffing you put in pillows or softies.

I don't use alot of stuffing but every once and awhile, I want to make something stuffed. Maybe because there aren't many great options. Poly fil looks and feels terrible. Wool stuffing is expensive and hard to find. Also it seems a little wasteful to buy a purpose made product just to make another product. But I think I have come up with a good solution - frogged wool. By either using an old sweater or one from a thrift store, nothing new in created.

This idea came to me as I was putting together my package for BackTack. Part of my package had a few stuffed items (no further details until Magfly gets her package!). I ran out of the leftover wool roving from my linen legs and was determined to use something I already had. I considered scraps, thread (inspired by Karyn) and lentils. All were rejected for a variety of reasons. Then I started thinking about yarn. I didn't have any but ah ha! that sweater in the give away pile could be frogged and supply the necessary stuffing. It worked really well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In our wonderful world...recycling and reusing is definitely the way of the future as our natural resources dwindle and get compromised. You definitely have had a good brainwave for making an item...soft and not adding to earth stress.
beejay

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Jane@Cadieux et Langevin said...

Indeed..recycling and reusing saves money too ;)

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home