Friday, November 07, 2008

this morning


Inspired by our neighborhood coffee place (Finally! A decent americano within a 5 minute walk of our apartment. Not having that nearby was really affecting our enjoyment of our new hood. Bougie, I know), I decided to make cornmeal muffins for breakfast. The ones we had there the other day were laden with dairy and eggs and I wanted to make a vegan version. Imagine my surprise when none of my cookbooks or googling came back with anything appropriate! I decided to adapt a bacon corn muffin from one of my most prized cookbooks, Sunset's Favourite Recipes. It was my Nana's.

I subbed grapeseed oil for bacon drippings, silken tofu for eggs and rice milk plus apple cider vingear for buttermilk. They turned out ok, just the right amount of sweetness for morning eats. Unfortunately, the only cornmeal I had was quite coarse so the muffins were a little crunchy. Next time, I will grind the cornmeal a little finer before using it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't wonderful linking family past and present...Your Nana would have been so very happy.
Love the use of alternative ingredients to produce good tasting products. Did you notice any
differences in the outcome?
beejay

9:27 AM  
Blogger skona said...

beejay: i guess the main difference is that they aren't as heavy in taste and texture. eggs and dairy have a really distinctive taste. the crumb is softer too.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home