Monday, November 17, 2008

slm - back from the dead

Remember when I ambitiously started a weekly feature on skönalife? Yeah, me neither. Well, not quite. Fear not, I haven't abandoned sustainable living just the documentation of it and that's about to change (even if I'm a day late).

My latest quest has been for resusable coffee/tea cup. Aren and I both enjoy an americano a couple of times a week. Until a few months ago, we both had great resuable cups. They were great; perfect size for a medium americano (10 oz), kept the coffee hot and in the container, not in the bottom of our bags. Then they broke/came apart. Since then we have been on the look out something not too big, without a handle, without a plastic rim, not made in China and not hideous. We haven't found anything locally and resigned ourselves finding something online.

I searched around today and rediscovered this which made the blog rounds awhile ago: design savvy, good size but it might be too fragile and I'm not sure how I feel about drinking hot liquids through silicone on a regular basis. Then I came upon this post on No Impact Man. Of course! it's almost too easy. A resused glass jar with a good lid, it makes sense. We are going to try out our resused salsa jars asap.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and knowing you, you'll whip up some nice little sleeve for it to keep your hands from burning and to keep your coffee hot ...

8:59 PM  
Blogger skona said...

singne: you read my mind! that's the next step, after the jars deodorize a little bit.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow great idea...
beejay

7:10 PM  
Blogger icci design... said...

that is such a good idea...i've been needing a new coffee cup as well. a good sleeve would be a felted band with some buttons...i'm going to try it today!!!

8:58 AM  
Blogger angelune said...

I find it's usually the lids, not the jars, that need deodorizing. i think a good soak in vinegar will loosen most smells, or sunshine if you can find any.

10:30 AM  
Blogger sweetie pie press said...

that jar totally needs a sweater. probably one made from a sweater.

for my travel cup i use the jar my honey came in. way less icky!

speaking of icky, i read that no impact man post. i don't think it's a good idea to wait until you 'really' need to wash a cup. soap is a major innovation in the human fight against dying for no good reason.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home