Monday, December 01, 2008

slm and busy 5 - mr. sköna


Simple, strong, sustainable.

I please to announce the launch of my line of men's accessories: mr. sköna. I have been working on this project for a long time and am thrilled that it's finally ready for it's debut. My etsy shop will be online in the next few days.

mr. sköna is about sustainable products that are well made and designed. When I started thinking about selling items, it was important to me that I was making items that were going be used for a long time, that used as little new materials as possible, that had minimal packaging (which is hard because I love packaging) and that were aesthetically pleasing. I used my background as a costume designer and my well-honed thrifted skills to find materials and create products inspired by nature, Scandinavian design and traditional menswear textiles.

I use only natural materials (cotton, linen, leather, wool) 90% of which are upcycled. Natural materials feel nice against your skin, wear well and are easily recycled. The only new materials I use are thread and elastic to ensure the quality and lifespan of the final product as most vintage notions are no longer in good shape. My studio (a tiny room in our apartment) is powered by green power from Bullfrog (a local green power supplier). All products come in linen pouches which alleviate the need for gift wrapping (though if you are buying for yourself, it's like getting a gift), serve as protectors when the item isn't in use and can be reused to wrap another gift.

As well as the etsy shop, mr. sköna will be at The Workroom's Holiday Trunk Show, December 7, 12-5pm and City of Craft, December 13, 12-8pm (click on the buttons on the right for more details). I'm a little nervous but mainly excited and hope that these products find good homes.







5 Comments:

Blogger Anna @ D16 said...

Hello! I found your site through my stats. :)

I looooove these mens accessories (especially the hats!), and I'm very interested in buying something for my husband for the holidays or his birthday. Could you leave me a comment on my site when your Etsy shop is up and running?

Thank you!!!

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

- this is wonderful - I look forward to hearing of the progress of your men's line - congratulations!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations ms skona! beautiful work as alway. love, ahbs

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your ecological and philosophical commitment to making and packaging your hand crafted
mr. skona mens accessory line.

You have created such wonderful products, very stylish and unique.
Congratulations, loving the look of your products.
Beejay

6:46 PM  
Blogger skona said...

anna: thanks! i will.
singne: thanks!
ahbi: thanks!
beejay: thanks

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home