Monday, February 23, 2009

slm - fix those socks


My lovely wool socks (please excuse the pills) were starting to get a little threadbare around the heels and the ball of the foot. The rest the sock was fine so I didn't want to recycle them or resign them to dusting pile just yet. There weren't any holes, the fluffy wool (fleece? is that the right term?) had just worn off leaving a fine grid of threads (they must be made of a blend).

I had this idea that I could weave yarn over and under the grid which would fill in the threadbare area. Little did I know that's exactly how you darn something. Next time I'm going to try pattern darning (scroll down). I used the beautiful alpaca yarn that Magni sent me for BackTack 4.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely fantastic. Colour, everything. I want to do this to all my socks now.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks great. I hope the old treads left will secure your new yarn. This is not a very good sockyarn...

12:22 PM  
Blogger singne said...

My mother used to darn beautifully - her repairs were little works of art. I haven't seen anyone do it for years - I'm so glad you've discovered it, and you've done a beautiful job. It seems such a shame to give up on a pair of great socks when just a couple of areas are worn out. Bravo!

11:35 PM  
Blogger skona said...

Lindsay: Thanks! I had the same thought. I love when the heels and toes of socks are a different colour than the rest of the sock.
MagFly: Thanks! Good to know, I wondered about that.
Singne: I can only imagine. My grandma used to darn as well, I have a darning egg somewhere that I should dig out.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home