Tuesday, November 06, 2007

books

As I mentioned yesterday, I have acquired some great books recently, from the library and from the bookstore (don't mind the ripped pillow case in the photo above, eek).


"Augustus F. Sherman: Ellis Island Portraits 1905-1920": I bought it a few weeks ago and am completely engrossed by the compelling faces.

"Modigliani": Growing up, this Modigliani print hung in our house. I always loved her collar but was confused why the baby had no face. I am inspired (ironically) by his simple, illustrative approach to faces. I struggle with faces in my renderings and am hoping a fresh perspective will lead me to a better approach.


"Folk Art of Europe": I love the patterns and shapes. I have yet to go through the whole book, these are my favorites so far.

"Pure Style Living"; Ah, at last! This beautiful book is mine, to pore over and dream up ways to make our living space more beautiful and functional.

"Swedish Style": Another lovely shot. This book is a little chintzy/shabby chic for my taste but there's usually at least one thing that resonates with me. In this photo, the canopy and bedframe. Swoon.

The end.

5 Comments:

Blogger jen said...

i love your last shot here. so nice.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Casey Maura said...

Oh my. The first book looks so beautiful. Definitely going on my "must buy" list...

8:40 PM  
Blogger skona said...

jen: thanks! it reminded me of a dutch/flemish painting.
casey: it's really amazing. i wish there were stories from the portrait subjects along with the photos.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so much visual beauty in this post - including the arrangement of beautiful browns, white, gold and pewter on your black trunk - it would be perfect sitting beside the canopied bed. What a completely simple yet elegant canopy - I wish I'd thought of it!
The books, faces, embroideries, all of it - swoon too!

3:21 AM  
Blogger skona said...

singne: thanks! i once made a canopy like that will a windblow branch and a magneta sari. it was pretty but got in the way.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home