Tuesday, November 21, 2006

fabric boxes and naan

Here are the photos of the fabric boxes I made. I didn't have a pattern or interfacing so I improvised and came up with two different ways of making them. For first one, I stitched the canvas and gingham together to give the box some integrity. The box consists of 3 pieces: 2 sides and one long piece that becomes the other 2 sides and the bottom. One problem with this method is that the seams are exposed and need to be finished in some decorative way. I haven't finished done that yet (shhhh). I feel some seam binding is in order.
In order to avoid unfinished seams, I "bagged" the second one out. I wonder if that's the real term, that's what's it's called when you're sewing in a costume shop. It's when you stitch right sides together, leave a small opening and pull the item through the opening. This worked well expect it was a wee bit floppy so I stitched from corner to corner to create an x and put in tucks on all four corners. It's a little poufy but it stands up so I'm happy. Next time I will try the double sided stuff. I have a love/hate relationship with interfacing. It always seems to be too stiff or too soft. I like the woven kind the best.

Overall, I am happy with the boxes. They went together quite quickly and I was in the right mood for pleasurable sewing: focused but open. I find that things turn out the best when I allow myself to make mistakes and come up with solutions (which are often better than the original idea) instead of automatically despairing and trying the same idea over and over again. I heard a famous author on the radio the other day (can't remember who, of course) who spoke of the importance of the 'shitty first draft'. She found it was so difficult to start writing sometimes because she felt all this pressure for it to be perfect and great, right away. So she created the step of the shitty first draft in her process that allows her to get it all out there without worry or judgment. I love this idea. I am going to try to incorporate into my process.
Vegan naan I made to go along with our dinner of broccoli soup and asian slaw/salad. The slaw/salad is really quick and a great way to use winter vegetables to give the illusion of summer freshness. Here is a rough and ready recipe (amounts are vague as it depends on your own tastes and is easily scaled up or down depending on how many people are eating) that serves 4 or so.

Asian slaw/salad
salad
-a quarter of red cabbage, shredded
-a carrot, grated
-a beet, grated
-handful of cilantro, chopped
-pumpkin and sunflower seeds, a handful of each
dressing
-soy sauce
-lime juice
-sesame oil
-chili pepper flakes
-fresh ginger, grated
-clove of garlic, minced

Mix together in a bowl and adjust dressing ingredients to taste. Bon appetit!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your fabric boxes!!!
And i think the idea of the 'shitty first draft' applies to all artists...its like starting a painting or scupture...what are we so scared of? And i find the best work comes from 'mistakes' or experiments..:)
Your recipes sounds yummy!!

1:50 AM  
Blogger skona said...

julie: thanks! indeed, what are we so scared off? i agree that the best stuff comes from mistakes/experiments but i don't always allow myself that time, that luxury. a ha, perhaps that's the problem, thinking about it as a luxury rather than part of the processs.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess i`ll have to try those fabric boxes one day too! yours look really nice!could you please give me recipe for the Naan? it seems so yummy and i just can`t buy it aroun here...

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home