Friday, February 22, 2008


I am slowly emerging from a mountain of paperwork, acres of textiles and vats of notions. The last few months have been jammed pack. I was in Vancouver for a month and a half where I designed two shows, My Dad, My Dog with Boca del Lupo and Imbolc with sirenscrossing. Both shows went well and I am happy with how they turned out.

It was interesting to work on such different pieces at the same time. My Dad, My Dog is a play that uses animation, live drawing and miniatures to tell the stories of 3 people who are in North Korea for various reasons. The piece was technically challenging as I had to consider how to blend the real, 3D world with a mini 3D world and animation, all projected on a 20' screen. I discovered that clear, clean silhouettes and colours with little surface pattern was the way to go.

Imbolc is a site specific dance piece based on the Celtic festival of Imbolc. The audience traveled to 5 locations throughout the downtown to see the piece. The concept for the costumes was pedesterian clothing with something a little off and a sense of wild nature that couldn't be contained. I had to leave before the show was completed (more below) so my process was quite different than normal. I worked with the choreographer on the concept, found the pieces, did initial fittings and then handed the show off to an assistant to bring it to fruition. Judging from the photos, I think it all came together in the end.

I left Vancouver earlier than expected for an opportunity to work with a well established designer on a series of new operas, Opera to Go. It was a bit of whirlwind; I took the red eye, had breakfast with Aren and was at work for 9:30. It was pretty much go, go, go until opening. It was a great experience. I really realize the importance of having a support network of colleagues. None of my friends are designers and while manyof them are in the same industry, they don't know the specific challenges of my job.

I also updated my website, www.revaquam.com. It only took 6 months. Aren and I are very picky. So all in all, the last 2.5 months have been good but tiring. I am worn out. Luckily, I have had the last week pretty much off and am slowly returning to normal life. I have even started baking again (more on that later).

As you might have noticed, I have decided to include more of my work and process in this blog. It's changing and evolving and it feels important to document and explore it. Don't worry, there still will be lots of crafts and cooking.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reva,
As always you have many irons in the fire...is it possible to see some of your designs either through your drawings or photos?

I am so glad that your mentoring experience was meaningful for you.
Bonnie

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home