Friday, November 23, 2007

In the soup

Posting everyday is proving to be a little challenging. I seem to find myself ready for bed and then remember that I haven't posted yet. Sorry about yesterday. There probably won't be a post tomorrow either as Aren and I are heading to Ottawa to see this. I'm pretty excited; Pina Bausch is huge in the world of modern dance. I also have never been to the NAC before.

I will leave you with the recipe for my new favorite soup. It's savoury, hearty, simple and filling in the best possible way. This the fortifiying soup that you need when you are fighting off a cold or about to skating on a pond. It may seem long, having to make a special broth but it comes together quickly and it's essential to the wondefulness of the soup. Next time, I think I might add some red pepper flakes.

Spanish Potato Garlic Soup
from Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites
Serves 4-6

1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
2 large potatoes, cut into thin slices
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp olive oil
1 c chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried thyme
6 c garlic broth (recipe below)

Saute the onions, potatoes and paprika in the oil, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until the onions have softened. Add the tomatoes and thyme and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the garlic broth and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender.

Garlic Broth

1 large whole head of garlic (about 20 cloves)
1/4 c miso
3 c water
3c vegetable stock

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400F. Cut off the stem end of garlic head, break it into clove and peel. Bake the garlic on an unoiled pie plate for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden but not browned. In a blender on high speed, puree the roasted garlic, miso and water until smooth. Combine with stock and gently heat.

Bon appetit!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dolores said...

I'm really puzzled about why this soup didn't work as well for me. With all of those flavorful ingredients, why was it bland? Any advice you've got to offer is greatly appreciated!

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home